It’s the most wonderful time of the year for many families. Unfortunately, some people get into accidents as they make their way around Atlanta during the holidays. While some escape with minor injuries, others end up in the emergency room. Some accident victims even succumb to their injuries. The roads can be dangerous at any time of year, but they become even more so during holiday periods. People travel for longer times, drink more alcohol, and driver faster as they get caught up in the festivities. If you get injured in an accident during the holidays, an Atlanta car crash attorney can help you get compensation.
Statistics show that in 2017, there were on average 102 fatalities each day across the nation. However, during the six major holiday periods, the rate increased to 119 per day. This is according to the Estimate of Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Fatalities for the Holiday Periods of 2019. The document was published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The report was based on a study of historical data from 1982 to 2017 and fatality counts from 2018. Researchers were able to forecast the number of fatalities for the 2019 holiday periods. They projected that 799 people will die in traffic crashes between 6 p.m. on December 24, 2019 and 5:59 a.m. on January 2, 2020. This is a staggering statistic. However, you should keep in mind that most of these accidents are preventable. While you can’t control the actions of other drivers, you can protect yourself and your loved ones to a large extent.
Advice from Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys on How to Prevent Accidents
Every time you get behind the wheel, you should practice a number of safety measures. However, these become even more important during the crazy holiday season. For example, you should:
- Wear your seatbelt at all times even if the journey will be short. You should also ensure that everyone in your vehicle buckles up.
- Make sure young children are properly secured in a car seat or booster seat appropriate for their age, weight, and height.
- Don’t drive if you’re impaired. Have a designated driver if you plan to drink or use drugs when you attend holiday parties.
- Follow the speed limit. Give yourself as much time as possible to reach your destination on time while driving at a safe speed.
- Don’t talk on a cell phone or text while you drive.
- Drive according to the road conditions. You may encounter wet or icy roads and lots of holiday traffic. Be patient and keep an eye out for aggressive drivers
If you have teenagers, you should also ensure they know how to stay safe. Motor vehicle crashes are the primary cause of death for teens in the US. Every day, six teens aged 16 to 19 die from accident-related injuries. Teens are also almost three times more likely than older drivers to be involved in a fatal crash. You should, therefore, remind your teens about the dangers of speeding, drunk driving, and breaking other traffic laws. You may also want to supervise their driving during the holidays.
What Atlanta Car Wreck Lawyers Want You to Do If You Get into An Accident
Not every driver will follow these suggestions. They may speed, run red lights or get behind the wheel after drinking too much. Despite your best efforts, a vehicle may come crashing into you. If this happens, you need to take the appropriate steps, so you don’t jeopardize your ability to get compensation. You’ll need to:
- Call the police. The police report will provide\\important evidence if you decide to file a personal injury claim or sue the driver. It will include the officer’s opinion on who or what caused the accident.
- Collect evidence from the scene. If you can, take photos of the damage to your car, the road conditions, and skid marks or any other indicators.
- Seek medical attention. You need to see a doctor as soon as possible even if you don’t think you’re injured. Not all symptoms show up immediately. You will need a medical report if you want to get compensation for your injuries.
- Call an attorney. Negotiating with insurance companies can be very difficult. If you want to ensure you get the compensation you deserve, you need an experienced attorney.
Contact The Bethune Law Firm to Discuss Your Case
If you get into an accident during the holiday period, contact our experienced Atlanta personal injury attorneys as soon as possible. If the crash was not your fault, we’ll do everything we can to help you recover your losses. All you need to do is call us to schedule a consultation.