Over 1,000 people die on Georgia’s roads each year because of alcohol-related crashes. Thousands more received injuries ranging from minor to severe. Despite strict laws against drunk driving accident and ongoing public awareness efforts, people still get behind the wheel while intoxicated. The results can be catastrophic. If you were injured by a drunk driver, you deserve to get compensation for your losses. However, in most cases, you will need an attorney to help you pursue damages.
The drunk driver will probably face criminal charges for driving under the influence. This is separate and distinct from your insurance claim for damages or a potential lawsuit. However, if the driver is convicted, this may help to strengthen your personal injury claim. A conviction can serve as proof that the driver was negligent. You will still need to prove that their negligence caused the accident and led to your injuries. A personal injury attorney can help you to build a strong case.
Criteria for Drunk Driving in Georgia
In order for a person to be charged with driving under the influence, they must:
- Have a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher
- Have a blood alcohol content of .02 or higher if under the age of 21
- Also, having a blood alcohol content of .04 or higher If they are a commercial or professional driver
- Refuse to take a blood alcohol test
The results of field sobriety tests aren’t usually enough to get an individual convicted of a DUI. Not only can you use failed sobriety tests as part of a civil lawsuit. Police reports, as well as state lab results, can also be used to prove the driver was intoxicated.
Compensation A Personal Injury Attorney in Atlanta, Georgia Will Help You Seek
Drunk driving accidents usually occur at high speeds. This means they can leave significant injuries and property damage in their wake. Many victims face high medical bills, lost income and long recovery times. Some become disfigured or disabled and their lives never return to normal. As an accident victim, you shouldn’t have to handle this alone.
That being said, the driver’s insurance company may not want to pay the full value of your claim. They may make you a low offer and hope you go away. That’s why it’s important to have a competent lawyer on your side. Personal injury lawyers know how to negotiate with insurance companies and get them to improve on their settlement offer.
At the Bethune Law Firm, we help clients get compensation for:
- Ambulance costs
- Emergency room bills
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages, salary or commission
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
- Loss of limb
How Personal Injury Attorneys in Georgia Advise Their Clients
We always ask clients to help us to help them. If you want the best chance of securing compensation, there are some steps you should take.
- Stick to the treatment plan set out by your doctor. Go to your follow-up appointments, take your medication and get the procedures you need. If you don’t, it may be hard to prove that your injuries as serious as you claim.
- Retain all the medical reports, x-rays, invoices, letters and other documentation relating to your injuries. We’ll need proof of your medical condition for the insurance company or the court.
- Don’t talk to the other driver or representatives from their insurance company without speaking to us first. Even comments which you believe are harmless could jeopardize your ability to get compensation.
- Watch what you post on social media. The driver’s insurance company will look for any excuse to avoid paying damages. Avoid commenting on the accident or posting photos that make it seem like you could be exaggerating or faking your injuries.
Contact a Georgia Personal Injury Attorney Today
Victims of drunk driving accidents often have to change their lives forever. You shouldn’t have to suffer unnecessarily when the accident was not your fault. You shouldn’t have to foot your medical bills alone or struggle to survive without your usual income. The driver or their insurance company should have to pay. If a drunk driver has injured you, you should speak with one of our attorneys. At the Bethune Law Firm, we have skilled, experienced lawyers who can evaluate your claim and explain the options available to you. You can be sure you will get sound legal advice on how you should proceed. Call us today to book a free consultation (800)-465-8733.