What to Do When Your Car Insurance Claim is Denied
If you’re in a car accident, you may be confident you have nothing to worry. After all, you have car insurance. Imagine the shock when your insurance company says it will not honor your car insurance claim. You probably have a ton of medical bills, your car needs fixing and a lot more could be happening. The action taken by your insurance company could cause you to panic. That, however, won’t help your situation. The best option you have is to get in touch with an Atlanta car accident attorney. The attorney will advise you on the course of action to take.
What Are the Reasons Insurance Companies Deny Car Insurance Claims in Atlanta, GA?
The following reasons could see your car insurance claim rejected.
- The accident was avoidable. If the accident occurred under avoidable circumstances, the insurance company will reject your claim. For example, if intoxicated at the time of the accident, your insurer won’t pay any compensation. If you disagree with the insurer, it’s best to talk to an Atlanta, GA car accident lawyer.
- You didn’t seek treatment at the time of the injury. After an accident, it is important that you get treatment immediately. If you don’t, your insurer could argue that you didn’t get any injuries. Having evidence that you sought treatment immediately and examined your injuries gives you stronger grounds for your claim. If facing delayed treatment, the insurer may say the injuries were made up to get a payout. Some car accident victims may not have money to pay for treatment after their crash. When they make claims, they may be branded “fakers”. Yet, the truth is they avoided medical treatment because they couldn’t afford it. This is sad because they could have a legitimate personal injury claim.
- You have no record of your injuries. If you don’t have a doctor’s report of the injuries you sustained, your car insurance claim can be denied. That is why you must go to a hospital after an accident. The doctor will give you a medical report which you can use to prove your injuries and seek damages.
- You had a pre-existing condition. If you had a condition that caused you pain before, the insurer could use this to deny your claim. They may argue that the condition is the cause of your pain and injuries. If the condition got worse after the accident, you may get some compensation. The insurer may, however, want you to prove the accident made the condition worse.
- You were not covered at the time of the accident because you hadn’t paid your premium or renewed the policy.
- Applied for a car insurance claim which is not covered by the policy.
- Tried to claim damages which exceed the policy you took out.
How to Handle the Denial of Your Car Insurance Claim
When you pay your insurance premiums on time you’re fulfilling your part of the agreement with an insurer. It is expected that the insurer will exercise good faith and pay for any claims should the need arise. If they fail to do so it is referred to as acting in bad faith. For example, if you cause an accident the injured driver can seek compensation. Your insurance cover should be able to pay the injured driver. If your insurer tries to avoid paying the driver, that will be considered an act of bad faith. If the reasons given for denial are not satisfactory, get help from an Atlanta, GA car accident attorney.
When to Seek the Services of an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer
When informed about the denial of your claim, get in touch with an Atlanta car accident attorney. The attorney will talk to your insurance company and try to understand the reasons for them denying your claim. They will also discuss if it can be quick so that you get the benefits you deserve. From the consultations, your attorney will also determine if the insurer’s behavior meets the legal definition of bad faith. If it does, you can file a lawsuit against your insurer for not doing business with you in good faith. Insurance companies wouldn’t want a case of bad faith brought against them. In many instances, they would be open to negotiate and rectify the wrong to avoid going to court.
Call an Atlanta Car Accident Attorney
An experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer from Bethune Law Firm will fight for you and see your claim settled if it is valid. Talk to us today and we will work with you to ensure the insurer lives up to their obligation. Sometimes having an attorney is all you need to show insurance companies that you will not face bullying.